One of the important ministries of the Church revolves around advising the pastor in the direction of the parish. The ten members of Old St. Mary’s Parish Pastoral Council help to shape the vision of the parish and help guide the parish in being faithful to its vision. Each year, three or four new members are chosen by the Council to serve on the Pastoral Council for a three year term. They are interested in your questions, compliments, concerns and ideas. So if you see one of them, please say hello and share your thoughts.
Qualifications for the Parish Council
The qualifications to be on the Pastoral Council are as follows:
- Baptized, active Catholics.
- Registered members of parish that are 18 years of age or older
- Participates in parish worship life, especially Mass and the sacraments.
- Can represent the vision and mission of the collective Old St. Mary’s community
- Commitment to giving the time needed for prayer, discernment, study, listening and dialogue; and eager to carry out the mission of the Parish.
The Responsibilities of OSM Parish Pastoral members’ are as follows.
- Participate in monthly meetings: Because the Pastoral Council does its work at monthly meetings, it is important for members to be present at meetings.
- Attend special events: Special events are times when the parish gathers to celebrate, communicate and/or make decisions. Council members are encouraged to attend as many as they are able.
- Communicate and Connect with the Parish: Council members are asked to volunteer to serve as a liaison to one or more parish groups and to actively engage with the parish community to help demonstrate support and facilitate communication.
In addition to the qualifications and responsibilities needed, individuals seeking membership on the Parish Council should be able to demonstrate qualities such as:
- A strong commitment to Catholic values
- A commitment to the mission of Catholic Education and Catechesis
- Leadership skills & experience in leadership roles of other OSM ministries or other organizations
- Open-mindedness and respect for others’ opinions and perspectives
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills